This is the most comprehensive survey of them all, and is recommended for anybody intending to buy a boat. The survey and subsequent report will provide a clear understanding of the overall condition of the vessel in question, and provide an easy to understand breakdown of any defects found, along with the surveyors’ recommendations. The inspection will cover every part of the vessel, including (but not limited to):
- The hull (inside and out) including checking for osmosis on GRP craft.
- The deck and superstructure, including the hull/deck join.
- The vessel structure, including frames, beams, floors and keel.
- The rig, including standing/running rigging, spars and sails.
- Engine installations and stern gear.
- Bilge system.
- Fuel system.
- Freshwater and plumbing installations.
- Sea cocks and thru-hull fittings.
- Deck fittings, ground tackle and accesses.
- Safety equipment.
- Electrical installations and navigational equipment.
- Rudder and steering system.
It is often found that a full condition survey of a yacht or boat prior to purchase can give the potential buyer great leverage when negotiating a price or highlight that it should be avoided altogether. In fact, the survey cost is often recovered (sometimes many times over) as a result of a reduction in price. At the very least, you can rest assured that you won’t be faced with any nasty or expensive surprises immediately after purchase.
Planning a refit or restoration for your boat? A full condition survey is an excellent place to start as the findings and recommendations provide a solid basis when planning the work schedule.
Zenith Maritime are based in Padstow so are well placed to carry out Pre-Purchase surveys around Cornwall, with the most common places being the Camel Estuary, Falmouth, St Mawes, Torpoint and the Roseland. We are also happy to carry out surveys across Devon and as far afield as required.
A sea trial may also be necessary as part of survey, which can be arranged, and all Pre-Purchase surveys include a valuation.
If you would like more information about a particular service please get in touch.